• TV studios needed professional-quality wireless digital audio solution for students and commercial clients
• Requirement for excellent audio performance plus reliable, rugged design
• Wide range of studio-based audio applications
• Sony DWX Gen3 wireless audio system installed in three studios
• Tough, compact beltpack transmitters plus high quality receivers
• High density grouping allows up to 21 channels per 8MHz band
• Superb audio with no more hiss or drop-outs
• Robust transmitters and wireless receivers withstand daily handling by hundreds of students every year
• Futureproof solution will deliver high quality sound for years to come
Sony DWX was something that we felt was needed for the studio – not just as a new microphone system, but for the network capabilities, robustness and quality.
TV Studio Manager, The University of Salford
The University of Salford in Greater Manchester boasts some of the most advanced and best-equipped educational TV production facilities in Europe. As well as catering for hundreds of students every year, the UK studios also attract commercial clients including the BBC, Sky and ITV. In a recent upgrade of its audio equipment, the University sought a top-flight wireless system with the quality and reliability to meet the needs of students and professional users alike.
After extensive research and evaluation, TV Studio Manager Ash Tidball and team opted to install Sony’s DWX Gen3 wireless system “Looking at DWX was something that we felt was needed for the studio – not just as a new microphone system, but for the network capabilities. It was also needed for the robustness and the quality”. The compact DWX beltpack transmitter features a tough magnesium alloy casing that’s resistant to rain, spray and sweat. Weighing under 100g, it’s ideal for round-the-clock use across a wide variety of applications at the busy Salford studios.
Since switching to Sony, Ash and team have been extremely happy with the performance of DWX. Drawing on 60 years of pro audio experience, the third-generation system features Sony’s best-ever sounding Mode 4 codec, alongside new features such as high density channel grouping that allows up to 21 channels per 8 MHz TV band. “We replaced another audio manufacturer and have got away from things like drop outs, disconnects and white-out noise” says Ash. “Our DWX Series transmitters and receivers are extremely versatile, high fidelity and futureproof and keeping our students in mind, they’re robust. With hundreds of studio users a year, we needed a system that was reliable. The quality has surpassed our old system, delivering clarity in every studio situation. This will see us for many years to come with bright, reliable audio recordings”.
As featured in Canford’s Source Material Magazine | Technical Support by Karno Sound